Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates

От Henry B. Hotz
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 3:16 PM -0800 1/25/00, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>On 2000-01-24, Henry B. Hotz mentioned:
>> Couldn't we test some of these parameters inside configure and set them
>>there?
>
>Nope. configure is for testing the build environment, not the runtime
>environment. But the same thing could be achieved with some
>runtime-analyzing program that writes its results into some sort of
>configuration file.

And then we could make configure run the program for us, and we could
automatically put the results into some header file. . .  In other words
I'm not that much of a purist.

As Tom Lane said this is not an important point.  What's important is how
much can we determine how easily.  It may actually make more sense to do
this tuning after installation.  It only affects optimizer choices in
situations that aren't obvious.